Looking at Divorce News for Key Changing Issues
Marriage and divorce are permanent ideals which never change. Right? Well, not so much. Certainly, you can look around and get an idea that today’s generation is waiting longer to get married than you did, and likely that you did longer than your parents did. But there’s more to it than that, and there are both interesting pieces of statistical evidence as well as other news and developments which show how marriage and divorce are evolving in 2019.
- Divorce & Marriage Rates Are Decreasing: From 2000 to 2016, the marriage rate dropped from 8.2 to 6.9 marriages per 1,000 people. In the same years, the divorce rate dropped from 4.0 to 3.2. Perhaps the extra people who aren’t getting married are the same ones who aren’t getting divorced down the road, too.
- …But Not For Everyone: Not all divorce is down, though. Gray divorce is up. The phrase references couples in long-term marriages, both over the age of 50, getting divorced. Such cases have doubled since 1990.
- Dogs Are the Best People: That’s how the joke goes, at least. And if you take that to heart, then you probably think that animals have rights and aren’t disposable pieces of property, and their wellbeing should be considered. Well, California just became the 3rd straight in the country to enact legislation stipulating just that.
- Crypto Confusion: Cryptocurrency is becoming a major headache for divorce cases, one which may only continue to become worse and worse. Consider the wild fluctuations in value that make it hard to pin down as an asset to be divided. Then, consider that the entire system was designed as a secure means of transactions, meaning good luck tracing it if someone decides to hide rather than disclose their crypto holdings.
- The Richest Fortune in History, Halved: Jeff Bezos won’t be the richest man on the planet much longer, though we shouldn’t feel too bad for him, as he’ll still be in the top 5. But with news of the Bezos divorce case, his $140 billion net worth is set to be divvied up. Goes to show you that no matter how rich and powerful you are, the power of a well thought out prenuptial agreement may be even greater.
Have any questions about what the latest divorce news or trends mean for you and your case? Call our office at 240.395.1418 for a free consultation today.